Last update: Nov 10 2002
NewsSrv is a tool for downloading binaries on Usenet.
It runs either under GNU/Linux or Windows 32bits. Its main feature is
that it can be controlled remotely via a Web interface,
currently written in PHP. It is based
on a mySQL database. It is released
under the terms of the GNU GPL.
As of 2008/02/03, the project moved to a Subversion repository
instead of the old CVS one. The code has been hacked to work with
newer versions of mysql++, PHP and MySQL. No new feature though,
and I don't plan on releasing a new Windows binary.
At least, 0.3.0 is out... And for the occasion, the project moved
The rest of the news concerns only Windows users.
- One only, multi-threaded executable (optional under Linux).
- The method used for determining which articles belong to
which post is now entirely user-configurable. It is based on
Perl-compatible regular expressions. If you don't know what it
is, take a
look at this. Needless to say, this is intended for
"advanced" users; a default set of rule is provided when the
database is created, which should be OK for most cases. If you'd
like to use this feature and understand what PCRE are, here is
how it works in NewsSrv.
- Interface enhancements
- NewsRm now cleans up safely the temp directory
- Many fixes/enhancements that are invisible to the user,
- And the winner is, it can post now...
- NewsSrv now builds natively under Windows, thanks to Mingw32. At first, I intended
to use Visual Studio to do the port, but I could'nt do anything
with it, the STL doesn't work, the compiler sucks, I hate
it. Still, the process of building NewsSrv for Windows is a
painful one; interested people should take a look at these guidelines.
- There is a GUI!
- The configuration is now stored in the registry. No need to
reboot after installation, no need to edit the config file
(there is a configuration dialog)
A tool to upgrade the database is provided, but
I strongly encourage you to delete your old configuration and
start from scratch, it isn't well tested...
Current version is "From Russia With Love" 0.3.0
Dependencies: you need, of course, a Web server supporting
PHP (I use Apache) and a mySQL server. Windows users will
have this in one package by using EasyPHP.
See "what's new"
The download page is accessible from the Sourceforge
To build from
source, you'll need some third-party libraries, namely:
If you want to build from source under Windows, read this.
- libPF, available on the same page as NewsSrv.
- The mySQL headers and libs
- The mySQL C++ API, available on mySQL page.
- The UUdeview
- The PCRE library.
The Windows installer makes use of NullSoft NSIS.
Please read the README before sending a
mail, it could save me some time...
NewsSrv will return in
- To Gissehel, which took interest in the project early and
gave some really valuable advices concerning the database
structure... And took care of the PHP interface. I hate writing
- People from alt.binaries.sounds.anime who provide me with
something to listen to while coding.
- People from alt.binaries.multimedia.anime and consorts, from
which originated my "oh my god, I'm going on holliday, I don't
wanna miss an ep, what should I do arghhhh" motivation for
- The numerous people who wrote the various libraries/tools I
used: mySQL, uulib, mySQL++, PHP, many others...
- The GNU project for their
operating system and cool programming environment!
- The Cygwin project, as well as
the Mingw project. Thanks to them, I
avoided the nightmare of trying to use Visual.